Wednesday, January 21, 2009
surgical success
I've received word from my sister that CK is out of surgery and is recovering in the PICU. As far as they can tell his aortic repair was successful. He's in stable condition, however, they have him on medication for high blood pressure. He's semi-alert, but sedated, and his color looks great. A good sign is the fact that at one point he woke up and was trying to pull out all his tubes and was crying "boo-boo!" Right now they have cartoons on to comfort him.
He's on the road to recovery before his next surgery in about four to six weeks when he'll undergo a mitral valve catheter balloon valvuloplasty.
Thanks again to everyone who donated to the fund to help my sister out. We're still collecting, of course. I'd especially like to thank The Microbiologist for helping spread the word.
I will update when I have more information.
------------------------------------
Update at 8 p.m. - I spoke with my mother and she reports that CK's blood pressure is back to normal. He's resting comfortably. She also noted that for the first time in his life his feet are warm. Because of his heart conditions, he's always had circulation problems. His feet would often be blue and were never warm like normal. This is great news.
------------------------------------
Update at 10:40 a.m. on Jan. 23 - I got an update on CK's condition. He's recovering well from his open heart surgery. He's in a lot of pain so they're administering drugs every four hours. The doctors did an Echo of his heart and discovered that the situation with his Mitral Valve has worsened, so they've already scheduled him for his second surgery during the first week in March.
Labels:
A Broken Heart
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)










|