Monday, July 14, 2008

inhospitable chicago

It's a little after midnight in Chicago and I sit here wide awake. Not because I'm not sleepy, but because the city decided tonight was a good night to tear a giant gaping whole in the street right outside my second floor hotel room window and do some very loud underground work. There's banging, clanking, grinding, engines, beeping and loud chatter (picture shows the bright and unfortunate view from my window).

I called the front desk to inquire about the construction and they said that it's possible that'll go on all night. Also, they don't have any other rooms to move me to tonight. They didn't seem too apologetic either. So, let's just say I'm f**ked. I'm not the type of person that can sleep through this shit. I'll have to attend my conference tomorrow as a walking zombie with bloodshot eyes surrounded by dark circles. I'll probably be in anti-social and in a bad mood too. That's what sleep deprivation does to me.

By the way, I'm staying at one of Kimpton's boutique hotels. It's the Hotel Burnham at 1 West Washington Street (at State Street) in Downtown. I don't recommend it at all. It's nice and all, but the fact that they didn't warn me of such activities and also placed me in a second floor room directly in front of the construction gives them extremely poor marks. The fact that they weren't sympathetic to my current noisy predicament only put salt on my sleepy wounds.

I'm pissed off and tired!


 

blogger templates | Make Money Online